Ayurvedic treatment for lower back pain
Ayurveda is the oldest science of healing. It is a science and art of appropriate living which helps to achieve longevity of life. According to Ayurvedic principles there are two different treatments type: one is palliative and the other one is purification.
To achieve a balanced state of body, mind and consciousness, Ayurveda prescribes purification therapy, i.e Panchakarma, for the cleansing of body toxins. Kativasti, a part of pre-operative procedure prior to Panchakarma is a very effective treatment for lower backache.
The waist area of the body is called Kati. Holding warm ayurvedic oils on the affected areas is called Vasti. Kati Vasti involves retention of warm thick medicated oil over the lower back or other parts of the spine for certain periods of time.
The patient is asked to lie face down on the bed. A medicated oil is applied locally around the lumbo-sacral region. Then a leak-proof reservoir made of black gram dough is built around the area and 200 – 300 ml of lukewarm medicinal oil is slowly poured into it. The temperature of oil is maintained and the oil is left on for 30-40 minutes.
Once this part of the treatment is over, the affected area may be gently massaged and followed by a steam application for 10-15 minutes to allow better absorption of the medicine. The therapy is usually done over a course of 5 to 7 days as recommended by an Ayurvedic practitioner.
Benefits of Kati Vasti:
1. Alleviates numbness due to Sciatic nerve compression & most types of low-back pain.
2. Strengthens the back muscles which maintain normal curvature of the spine.
3. Effective treatment for any type of back pain, spinal disorders, stiffness and other back concerns related to spinal disc problems.
4. Increases the circulation in the region treated and is a highly effective anti-inflammatory treatment.
5. Kati Vasti alleviates lower back conditions like Lumber Spondylosis, Inter vertebral disc prolapses, Lumbago (low back ache), and Sciatica.
6. Alleviates pain associated with fracture, dislocation, spinal tuberculosis and tumors.
7. Strengthens the joints, muscles and soft tissues. Treatment may promote quicker healing and recover from injury and enable you to resume back your work and activities.
Kati Vasti can be taken as a preventive treatment also. It helps avoid back related problems and keeps your spine healthy. As medicated oil is deeply absorbed into the skin it nourishes and strengthens the muscles and nerves. This is the one of the best treatments for healthy bone, muscle, vertebrae, spine, and nerves of lower back